What is web maintenance and why it’s so important 2020
What is web maintenance?
Website maintenance is the act of checking your website periodically for bugs, errors and mistakes and updating it to maintain its relevance. This process is done on a regular basis to ensure your website remains healthy, promotes continued traffic growth, improve your SEO and Google rankings.
Since 94% of first impressions relate to web design, people may be left with a poor first impression of your business if they encountered a faulty website. Additionally, if you’re an e-commerce business and your e-commerce functionality fails, people won’t be able to purchase your products.
Website maintenance is one of those things that doesn’t always present immediate issues. However, just like your health can fall apart if you go too long without a regular check up, so can the health of your website.
That said, to maintain your business running smoothly, it is necessary to conduct regular maintenance on your website.
What does Web Maintenance Include? A Comprehensive guide.
1. Backup your entire website
Backing up means transferring your website files onto a remote server such as your computer, hard drive, or your hosting company’s server. Consider this as your website’s insurance, should anything happen to your website unexpectedly, you can always restore the backed up version and hence can save you from losing a huge amount of time and money if something goes wrong with your site. If you have an automatic backup feature, check that it’s working each month. If you don’t have automatic backups, complete a manual backup at least once a month.
2. Updating all software and plugins
80% of compromised websites are due to outdated software, CMS, or plugins. This is because most developers release reports on the bugs fixed in their latest updates. Hackers are then able to look for outdated websites and attack these bugs based on the reports provided. Hence, it is important that you keep all your software and plugins up-to-date. If your website is compromised by a hacker, your customer’s personal data and credit card info can be stolen.
3. Test all your forms and checkout process.
At least once a quarter, make sure all your forms and your checkout process are working properly. Otherwise, you’d be losing out on potential leads or even purchases!
4. Review SEO, meta titles, and alt text in media files.
Over the year as you modify your websites, it’s easy to miss out on proper SEO practices such as including a focus keyword on the alt text and meta titles in your media files. It’s important that you review them once a while and update these information to ensure your website stays relevant to Google’s search engine.
5. Check load speed of your website.
Load speed heavily affects your page’s ranking in Google’s search engine. To avoid falling in Google’s rankings, it’s important to for your website to maintain a loading speed of less than 3 seconds. Above that, not only do you lose out on a lot of website traffic, but you also increase your bounce rate, which will reduce your relevancy to Google and hence falling in Google’s Ranking.
Here's a quick, in-depth maintenance checklist.
To be done weekly
- Check that all of your pages are loading without any errors
- Backup your website and make sure a previous version of your site is stored
- Make updates to website software and plugins
- Check that all of your forms are running properly
- Remove any spam comments from pages and posts
- Check your pages to see if there are any broken links
- Search for 404 errors and fix or redirect
- Write one or more blog posts to keep your community engaged and encourage SEO traffic.
To be done monthly
- Check the load speed of your website and ensure that nothing is bogging it down
- Review your security scans and make sure nothing is out of place
- Analyze website statistics from the previous month
- Check your blog to see if there are any articles that could be updated
To be done quarterly
- Review your website design and structure – can be it improved?
- Check graphics and images – should anything be updated?
- Review SEO and meta titles and descriptions to ensure they are as effective as possible
- Test and tweak popups, forms, and calls to action
- Review your workload for efficiencies to see if anything can be automated
- Test your website on all devices and browsers to see if it displays correctly
- Review advertising and marketing campaigns to see if anything needs to be changed or updated.
- Restore a previous version of the website to check your backup health
To be done yearly
- Update any reference to the current year
- Review each page for content accuracy, grammar, typos, and relevancy
- Check any active email addresses and see if any are excessive and can be deleted
- Ensure that your website domain name is renewed
- Consider whether a website design update is due
- Review all of your top performing blog articles and see if they can be updated with new content
Why is Web Maintenance essential to you?
We put this as the first reason because it is the most important reason to conduct web maintenance, especially if your website is storing any form of customer information. If you are using a website building platform like WordPress or Wix, you must ensure that you are regularly updating your software and security patches. It can be easy and attractive for hackers to find and target websites that have sat dormant for too long.
2. SEO and Google Ranking
Google’s mission is to provide customers with accurate and relevant up-to-date information. If your website has been dormant for too long or if Google suspects that it has been affected by malware, they may possibly deindex your site entirely, which means, remove you from their search engine.
To ensure you maintain a healthy amount of web visitors, you must keep your content, news, keywords, and articles up to date. After all, the whole point of having a website is to help your business gain exposure right?
3. Your Customer's First impression.
When’s the last time you felt good or safe when buying from a website that is consistently broken? Probably never. The same goes for your visitors if your website has a lot of broken links, faulty checkouts, or faulty forms, it’s likely your visitors will quickly turn away and look for your competitors with a healthier website.
In order to ensure your website works well for you, you’ll need to ensure your content is free from typos, grammar issues, has all the information your customers want, and looks engaging and consistent.
4. Corporate Image
It’s becoming increasingly simple to create a website that looks well-designed and professional. There is an expectation for a professional website from professional companies. Just look at Apple, would you buy from them if they looked like this? Dont think so. If your website doesn’t deliver on the promise of professionalism, your customers will often go elsewhere.
5. Maintains or Boost Sales.
Your website plays a crucial role in guiding users toward making a purchase. In the case of e-commerce sites, your site facilitates purchases. If your site doesn’t work properly, you’ll miss out on potential sales.
6. Customer Engagement.
If your website is gaining traction and traffic, it’s crucial to keep these potential customers. If they aren’t able to find what they are looking for, such as current information and relevant content, there is a good chance they will look elsewhere, and perhaps your competitor. Among consumers who have a poor user experience on a site, 89% will shop with a competitor instead. Regular maintenance prevents these poor user experiences and encourages potential customers to stay on your site, increasing your chances of making a sale.
What are the rates for Web Maintenance?
This depends on your website, the complexity and volume of work required to be done would logically be charged higher. However, we have prepared an estimated guide on how web maintenance should cost for different websites.
|Type of Websites||Web Maintenance Cost|
|Personal/Portfolio||RM 10 – RM 80 /mth|
|Blog||RM 80 – RM 200 /mth|
|Business||RM 150 – RM 400 /mth|
|Corporate||RM 300 – RM 800 /mth|
|e-Commerce||RM 500 – RM 2000 /mth|
Additional Web Maintenance costs to know about
1. Domain Name Renewal
When you created your website, you purchased a domain name, which is your website’s address. For example, Google’s domain name is google.com.
You might pay for your domain name on a monthly or yearly basis which costs roughly RM80.00 to RM100.00 per year.
While a domain name typically isn’t too expensive, it’s essential to keep up with the payments so that someone else doesn’t buy your domain name.
2. SSL Certificate
You’ll also need to ensure that your website is equipped with an SSL certificate, which helps keep your site secure. An SSL certificate enables your site to receive and transfer sensitive information securely such as credit card details, customer email, phone number, address, and many more.
Sites that have an active SSL certificate have HTTPS, instead of HTTP, in their URL. They also have a padlock image next to the URL in many browsers.
Sometimes you can get an SSL certificate for free if you’re using a hosting website, but generally, you’ll pay for an SSL certificate. SSL certificates typically include features, such as higher encryption rates, which can be beneficial for businesses. Their costs range from RM40 to RM500 per month or RM100 to RM6000 per year.
Be sure to keep up with your SSL payments so that your certificate stays active and your site stays secure.
3. Web Hosting
Similar to properties, all properties must have an address. In web hosting, a server is a “property” where your website will be located. You can either host your website yourself or hire a hosting provider.
When it comes to website hosting providers, you have several options.
- With a shared host, your website shares a server with several other websites. It’s the least expensive option at RM45 to RM5000 per year.
- If you choose a virtual private server (VPS), you still share a server with other sites. However, the provider divides the server up into several VPSs, giving your site a dedicated amount of server space. VPSs cost from RM1000 to RM8000 per year.
- With a dedicated server, you get full access to your own server. This option costs between RM5000 to RM100,000 per year.
Should you pay for web maintenance packages?
There are several elements that go into determining whether you should purchase a website maintenance package.
- The size of your website
- The purpose of your website
- How much of your website is customized content
- How quickly is your business growing?
- How much experience do you have with website maintenance?
- When’s the last time your website was updated?
- How much time do you have to dedicate to website maintenance?
If you’ve read this whole article, you probably have a good idea of what is web maintenance about and if you are capable of doing it yourself. If your website is simply sitting and taking up space on the internet, you should absolutely consider purchasing a website maintenance package. Your website should be a tool that is supporting and helping your business grow. It is a living and breathing entity that deserves your time and attention in order to fulfill its potential.
Learn about Major Ventures Web Maintenance Services
At Major Ventures we offer reliable website maintenance packages without burning a hole in your pocket. Our Web Maintenance Services include SEO, hosting, security and updates, backups, support, and peace of mind.
Ask yourself honestly whether you are keeping your website in good condition and consider contacting us. If you were to drive a car every day without regular tune-ups, it will eventually stop working for you, don’t you think so? Your website is the same. But don’t worry, We’ve got your back.
Find out more about our website maintenance services packages.
Share this post
What is web maintenance? Website maintenance is the act of checking your website periodically for bugs, errors and mistakes and updating it to maintain its
What is a CMS system? It is the abbreviation of Content Management System, a delicate software developed by developers for users with little to no coding
We have compiled 5 tips to choosing the best web design company in 2020 in this article. If you’re like millions of business owners who